ErinEarth has a passive solar (or solar passive) energy efficient home. This means that the house uses simple design features that are passive, do not require mechanical (electricity), to maintain thermal comfort in the house.
The house demonstrates that you can have a house that looks like many others in the neighbourhood and still be energy efficient and sustainable.
The features that make it a passive solar or sustainable house include:
1. Orientation of main living areas on the northern side of house.
This mean the long axis of the house is east - west axis. This maximise exposure to winter sun and minimise or exclude summer sun.
2. Features for passive heating
3. Features to reduce heat loss in winter or heat gain in summer
4. Features for passive cooling
5. Energy efficient appliances
6. Energy self sufficient
For more information see http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/index.html